Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Project 1 and WELCOME!!!

Welcome to my new blog! "There Are Boys In My Nest" is my way of sharing about our life with two boys and one on the way, living in a two bedroom condo with a closet sized yard. We own our condo and feel very blessed to be able to afford our payments, especially after the economy's downturn. BUT, we are unable to "upgrade" our living situation as of yet, although our family has "upgraded" quickly in the last 5 years! Troublemaker #1 is 5 years old, Troublemaker #2 is almost 3 years old and Troublemaker #3 is due at the end of May. This is my new blog about family, friends, nesting and whatever else I feel is interesting and relevant to my life and hopefully yours!

Being in my second trimester, I am no longer sick and have that stereotypical urge to NEST in our little nest. ;) I think it has come earlier this time around because of the honest feeling of overwhelmed-ness. (I don't think that is a word). Something about fitting another body and all his STUFF in this condo is motivating in a really scary way. Like, I'm scared and in wonderment, but, motivated. Like, let's make this work!!! So, little by little I want to make our condo more functional than EVER... by organizing, cleaning and hopefully inspiring you to do the same... because living a simpler, organized life is easier and refreshing!!!

Here is Project 1:



My desk.

Ew.

If you are an organized person by nature I apologize for making you vomit in your mouth a little. This mess stresses me out too. That's why it is Project 1!!!! Plus, I guess if I even WANT to start this new blog, I should have a nice clean area to start out with, huh? Makes sense!

Okay, so... first, to encourage you to take on this task as well, I am timing myself. I think we can OVER estimate how long things can take. Probably because we really don't want to do it! Ha! OKAY... right now it is 3:38pm. Ready.... GO!

First, I took everything off and put it on my bed, and threw away all trash. (There was a lot of trash).

Yeeeah. Too bad I can't just turn my back and look at the nice clean desk now, huh? But then, where would I sleep? Then I dusted the whole thing: computer, lamp and all.

Next, I put back everything I NEED on or in the desk. This included a few picture frames, three-hole punch, stapler and Troublemaker #1's yet-to-finished baby book (how bad of a procrastinator am I???) And pens. When I opened up my pen drawer, I saw THIS:



Yipe! Okay, that mess is mostly USB cordsd to various small electronics. So I took those out and "pinned" each of them to themselves with binder clips and put them in the middle drawer (which is empty), by themselves. Then put the pens back where they belonged:

Then, comes the BILLS! UGH. Here is my stack of un-filed bills:

I think the fastest way to do this is to sort them there, in a large space, before putting them back in your files. That way, you aren't going back and forth between your bills and the drawer.

Bills sorted:


Then I took pile by pile to the file drawer and stuck them all in their cooresponding spot. This sorting and filing took me the longest amount of time. But LOOK!



Ahhhhhhhh. So nice, right??? And it's 4:09pm! 31 minutes! Not bad, and the bill sorting took the longest amount of time. And, my Troublemakers are awake!

Well, I hope this gets you going. Or, maybe you feel this is boring. It kinda is. But it's necessary, you know? And it feels GOOD!

Tip: If you have a file drawer or something of the like, here is a helpful article on how long to keep important documents. Also, so many "regular" bills (cell phone, television, even gas and electric) can be found online by registering free on the company's site. So, why keep it in physical form when you can just print it out? I dumped a huge handful of old cell phone bills because I had 6 more new ones to file. Think about it!

Thanks for stopping by!

3 comments:

  1. How fun. I'll look forward to checking out your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i didn't know you had a blog! awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan: Thanks honey! I'm really enjoying yours!!! :)

    Brig: It's new, just started! I am thinking I might announce it on FB today, kinda nervous (is that weird?). I have a family blog but I never know what to write about... this seems more, me... like I can write whatever I'm thinking about or doing! xoxo

    ReplyDelete